RECIPE: Palak Paneer

Okay, I haven't been able to post all those entries I promised last time. But I shall do them now. I have about 20 entries in drafts, waiting to be completely written and published, so don't think that I've forgotten about my blog! :)

Remember Popeye, the Sailor Man? He used to have spinach to get strength. Well, some people I know aren't quite fond of spinach. I'm not sure this recipe would be interesting for them, but maybe it could attract them because it has Paneer in it, which is a favorite for most people! Well, not exactly Paneer, its Tofu, which is much healthier than Paneer, but you wont know the difference!

But before I go ahead, let me tell you this. There are several ways of making this, actually. Right now, I'm just writing how I made it, with the form of the ingredients I got here, but I shall write the variations below in the Purple Tips Section. :)

SERVING SIZE: For 5 people

PREPARATION TIME: 20-30 mins.

INGREDIENTS:

  • Main:
    • Spinach - 400-500 gms, Chopped (Or one box of frozen chopped spinach)
    • Onions - 2 nos. (small sized) or 1.5 nos. (medium sized)
    • Paneer/Tofu - 500 gms cube (Or one box of Tofu - preferably extra firm)
    • Green Chillies - 1-2 nos. (Depends on desired spiciness)
    • Ginger Garlic Paste - 1/2 tsp. (Or ginger pieces and garlic pieces)
    • Oil - 7-8 tbsp.
    • Curd or Cream - 2 tsp.

  • For the Masala:
    • Cardamom (Elaichi) - A small pinch (Powder) or 2 nos.
    • Bay Leaf - 1
    • Cloves - 2 nos. (small)
    • Cinnamon powder - A small pinch
    • Coriander Seeds (Dhania Seeds) - 1 tsp.
    • Cumin Seeds (Jeera) - 1 tsp.
    • Fennel Seeds (Saunf) - 1/2 tsp.
    • Fenugreek Seeds - 1 tsp.
    • Cashew Nuts - 5-8 nos.
APPLIANCES NEEDED: Blender, if required.

METHOD:
  • Chop the green chillies.
  • Fry all the masala ingredients in a small amount of oil, until the smell of the masala comes out.
  • Blend the masala ingredients with the green chillies and keep aside.
  • Cut the paneer/tofu into small pieces - either cubes or small triangular pieces, like shown below.
  • Fry the tofu pieces in little oil, enough to take away the excess water in them.
  • Keep the tofu pieces aside.
  • Dice the onions and cook the onions in the microwave oven for 5 mins. This will allow the onion to get fried and cooked quickly after blending.
  • Blend the onions to a thick paste.
  • If using frozen chopped spinach, thaw the spinach for sometime and then cook it in the microwave oven for about 7-8 minutes until the ice is gone.
  • Blend the spinach to a paste.
  • In the kadai, pour oil, and fry the jeera.
  • Add the blended onion paste.
  • Heat until the paste turns slightly brown.
  • Then add the blended masala, and fry for sometime.
  • Then add the tofu pieces to this gravy and let the tofu absorb the masala for sometime.
  • Then add the spinach paste and let it boil.
  • Add salt to taste.
  • Pour some cream or curd over it and stir well.
  • Palak Paneer or Palak Tofu is ready!
PURPLE TIPS:
  • Adding green chillies is more healthier and tastier than adding red chillies. That's the reason I added green chillies.
  • I usually like the spinach blended. But you can also use the spinach in the chopped form as well. It would be have more pulp.
  • If you don't have the masala ingredients, or don't want to make the masala yourself, you can use garam masala instead. But I prefer making the masala on my own! :)
  • You can fry the tofu to the extent you like, maybe even deep fry it. Its up to you.
Okay then, try out the recipe and let me know how it turned out.

XOXO,

Purple Poise

0 comments:

Post a Comment